What is Massachusetts Do Not Call List?
The Massachusetts Do Not Call List was created under Massachusetts Law in 2003 and is under the purview of the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation (OCABR). Telephone numbers registered on the List are prohibited from receiving certain telephone solicitations after the effective registration period has elapsed. The Law requires sales companies that use unsolicited telephone solicitations to desist from contacting phone numbers included on the list. The Law exempts certain types of unsolicited calls from these prohibitions; these include:
- Calls from non-commercial polls and surveys, such as political polls.
- Calls made by tax-exempt non-profit organizations, such as universities and charities
- Calls made at consumers’ requests.
- Calls made in response to consumer visits to the fixed commercial location of the companies.
- Calls made in connection with existing debts and contracts.
- Calls made to existing customers.
After the effective registration period, residents who still receive illegal spam calls can use reverse phone lookup services to retrieve information on the phone numbers used. This information can be used to report the phone numbers to the authorities or block the phone numbers.
Is Massachusetts Do Not Call List different from the National Do Not Call Registry?
Yes. Massachusetts Do Not Call List is different from the National Do Not Call Registry, and it is advisable to register on both lists. Some of the differences between these two lists are:
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) administers the National Do Not Call Registry, while First Data manages the Massachusetts List on behalf of the OCABR.
- Phone numbers on the National Registry are restricted from unwanted solicitations after 31 days on the list. Phone numbers on the Massachusetts List have an effective registration period, after which they are exempted from illegal spam calls. The date the phone number was added to the list determines this period.
- The National Registry is open to residents in every state in the U.S., while the Massachusetts List is only open to Massachusetts residents.
How Do I Register on Massachusetts Do Not Call List?
The Massachusetts Do Not Call List is maintained by First Data on behalf of the OCABR. This firm handles the enrolment of residents on the List. Residents can register on Massachusetts Do Not Call List:
Online - Residents can sign themselves up using the online web-portal. Online registration services are available 24 hours, seven days a week.
Phone - Residents can also sign up by calling First Data toll-free at 1 (866) 339-1475. This is an automated service that is available 24 hours, seven days a week.
Mail - To register by mail, print and complete the registration form and mail to:
855 Pacific Street
4th Floor, FDGS
Omaha, NE 68106.
What Should I Know about Massachusetts Do Not Call List?
The Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulations (OCABR) was empowered to create a statewide Do Not Call List by the M.G.L.c 159C and CMR 201. The List consisted of the details of residents who did not want to receive telephone solicitations and was created in 2003. Telemarketers and list brokers must remove the residential telephone numbers of consumers enrolled on the DNC list from their calling lists.
The Massachusetts Do Not Call List is free to sign up for all residents. Residents can register any home or cell phone number, and the phone numbers need only be registered once. Residents can also add the phone numbers of family and friends to the List, with permission from the owners. Once registered, a phone number will be included in all subsequent versions of the Do Not Call List, unless removed by the owner.
The Do Not Call List is provided to subscribing telemarketers on January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. Each subsequent list is updated with new registrants on the DNC List. When residents sign up, they are provided with an effective date when unsolicited phone calls must cease. Telemarketers are allowed a few weeks to remove registered phone numbers from their call lists. If you still receive spam calls after the effective date has passed, these are spoofed phone calls, which are probably scams, or businesses breaking the law. Residents who receive these calls can file complaints with the Massachusetts Attorney-General’s Office.
To remove your phone number from Massachusetts Do Not Call List, print and complete a Delete Request Form. Mail the completed form to First Data. Alternatively, call First Data on 1 (866) 339-1475 and make the delete request.
The Massachusetts Do Not Call List does not include provisions for business phone numbers.